Ways To Get Most Out Of Your Workouts at Gym
So, you want to maximize the time you spend in the gym. Here are some ways to make
sure you are getting the most out of your workouts.
1. Hydrate - drink plenty of water before, during and after you work out. Being
even slightly dehydrated will reduce your strength and endurance, increase muscle
soreness, and delay your recovery time.
2. Eat some lean protein within 45 minutes after working out. During the first 45
minutes after working out your body is hungry for protein. Give your body what it
needs and you'll recover faster and develop more lean body tissue.
3. Get enough rest. Contrary to popular belief your body does not get stronger or
fitter at the gym. Your workouts only produce a stimulus for your body to change.
The positive changes that happen to your body happen afterwards. Get 8 hours of
sleep and enough down-time to keep refreshed.
4. Unless you are training for a marathon or other distance event - keep your workouts
short. For strength, aerobic, and muscular endurance gains - 45 minutes to an hour
is enough of a workout. During that time you can focus on making your workouts intense
without overdoing it. You should strive to be "fresh" every workout.
5. Do some kind of progressive resistance exercise. Many people avoid weightlifting
and stick to cardiovascular workouts to try to lose fat. Resistance exercise builds
lean body mass - which increases your metabolism and helps burn fat. It also keeps
your bones, muscles, and joints strong - and can create a more shapely body for
men and women.
Worried about looking like a bodybuilder? Unless you spend 6 hours a day in the
gym and take $100 a day worth of supplements - this is very unlikely to happen by
accident. Bodybuilders tend to be genetically gifted individuals that train very
differently than you or I ever would.
6. Keep a positive mental attitude. Setting reasonable goals for yourself will help
you stay motivated to keep up your training. Find ways to enjoy working out.
You could go with a friend, listen to music, or take up an activity you enjoy -
like kickboxing. Don't be too hard on yourself if you have to miss a workout
- but get back in the game as soon as you can. Stay positive!
For Further Reading