Ways To Get Most Out Of Your Workouts at Gym
So, you want to maximize the time you spend in the gym. Here
are some ways to make sure you are getting the most out of your
1. Hydrate - drink plenty of water before, during and after
you work out. Being even slightly dehydrated will reduce your
strength and endurance, increase muscle soreness, and delay
your recovery time.
2. Eat some lean protein within 45 minutes after working
out. During the first 45 minutes after working out your body
is hungry for protein. Give your body what it needs and you'll
recover faster and develop more lean body tissue.
3. Get enough rest. Contrary to popular belief your body
does not get stronger or fitter at the gym. Your workouts only
produce a stimulus for your body to change. The positive changes
that happen to your body happen afterwards. Get 8 hours of sleep
and enough down-time to keep refreshed.
4. Unless you are training for a marathon or other distance
event - keep your workouts short. For strength, aerobic, and
muscular endurance gains - 45 minutes to an hour is enough of
a workout. During that time you can focus on making your workouts
intense without overdoing it. You should strive to be "fresh"
5. Do some kind of progressive resistance exercise. Many
people avoid weightlifting and stick to cardiovascular workouts
to try to lose fat. Resistance exercise builds lean body mass
- which increases your metabolism and helps burn fat. It also
keeps your bones, muscles, and joints strong - and can create
a more shapely body for men and women.
Worried about looking like a bodybuilder? Unless you spend
6 hours a day in the gym and take $100 a day worth of supplements
- this is very unlikely to happen by accident. Bodybuilders
tend to be genetically gifted individuals that train very differently
than you or I ever would.
6. Keep a positive mental attitude. Setting reasonable goals
for yourself will help you stay motivated to keep up your training.
Find ways to enjoy working out.
You could go with a friend, listen to music, or take up an
activity you enjoy - like kickboxing. Don't be too hard
on yourself if you have to miss a workout - but get back in
the game as soon as you can. Stay positive!
For Further Reading